Saturday, May 17, 2014
11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Santa Cruz Wharf Commons
The Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, one of our nation's most spectacular marine protected areas, will be celebrated at the Santa Cruz Wharf with free live music, crafts, educational talks and demonstrations and short eco-tours of the Wharf. Experience the unique marine sanctuary as you stroll the wharf and join the fun! Learn all about the things that have drawn locals and visitors to the Wharf for a century: fishing, history, sports, birding, sea lions, whale watching and more, including recent efforts to make the wharf sustainable. Interactive, educational and fun activities will be presented by groups like the Seymour Marine Discovery Center, the Sanctuary Exploration Center, the Monterey Bay Aquarium Institute, Save our Shores, UCSC, the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and more.
SANCTUARY CELEBRATION ACTIVITIES
- Guided EcoTours by the Seymour Marine Discovery Center
- Bird spotting by UCSC bird experts
- Participatory art for kids
- Interactive historical and scientific exhibits
- Native plant pop-up parklet to relax on the Bay Boatbuilding and fish cleaning demonstrations
- Storytelling by Geoffrey Dunn
- Free solar consultations by the City – bring your PG&E bill!
- Food vendors featuring seafood caught in the Bay
- Representatives on hand to share Rail Trail and Wharf Master Plan progress
Download Mobile Ranger's Free Wharf app at the iTunes store an event guide with detailed information on activity times and locations! Sponsored by the City of Santa Cruz, Bay Photo, Sandbar Solar and Electric, Lighthouse Bank, ZNA Communications, Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and the UCSC Sustainability Office and Student Volunteer Center. Co-sponsored by the Santa Cruz Sentinel, KCBA TV and KPIG 107.5 FM. Visit www.santacruzwharf.com. Cost: FREE!