From Lisa McNeilly, Director of Sustainability and Energy at University of California, Berkeley:
"Departmental and Position Overview
The UC Berkeley Office of Sustainability and Energy provides leadership to campus by setting ambitious sustainability goals and strategies and by accelerating the achievement of these goals through project implementation, planning, partnerships, and community engagement. Our mission is to integrate cutting-edge sustainability practices into our operations and foster a culture of sustainability at home and in the world. We work to achieve climate neutrality with a focus on reducing energy use, and strive for excellence by implementing initiatives to reduce our ecological footprint and by emphasizing transparency and accountability through our plans and reports. The work of the Office includes communication across campus, and faculty, staff, and student engagement.
The Communications and Engagement Specialist will help coordinate communications and community engagement for Office of Sustainability and Energy projects. The position will be responsible for maintenance and growth of the website, organizing engagement and outreach events, designing graphic elements, analyzing identified audiences and the success of outreach efforts, coordinating social media efforts, and other related activities. The Communications and Engagement Specialist will report to the Director of Sustainability and Energy and will also work closely with the Sustainability Manager, other Office staff, and the Real Estate Director of Communications.
The position is located at the UC Berkeley campus. This is a 12 month contract position, with the possibility of extension. Benefits are included in compensation package.
- Under general supervision, implements Office communications and engagement activities coordinates social media efforts, and organizes engagement and outreach events for buildings and/or Operating Units
- Maintains and updates website, including interface with energy information software that provides information on energy usage by building
- Designs, edits, updates, and designs marketing and communication materials such publications, advertisements, press releases, announcements.
- Conducts and reports basic market research and generates and uses marketing reports to make recommendations on changes to plans
- Supports broader VCRE communication efforts
- Other duties as assigned
- Solid knowledge of communication principles, concepts, strategies and best practices.
- Strong knowledge of energy efficiency and sustainability strategies, behavior change campaign techniques, community engagement, social marketing, and general sustainability principles.
- Solid knowledge of website design and maintenance, including familiarity with Drupal. Knowledge of current social media tools and ability to creatively apply tools to reach UC Berkeley's outreach goals.
- Technical skills in computer applications for web publishing and production, image handling (especially Photoshop), publishing and design, illustration, presentation preparation, animation, web interaction, and/or other state-of-the-art web communication and graphic design capabilities.
- Knowledge of the campus including its mission, vision, and goals, or similar knowledge of other higher education institutions.
- Organizational skills and skills in file creation, maintenance and management.
- Written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and effectively in a team structure with other professionals and vendors.
Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- 1-2 years of experience in website design and maintenance and behavior change campaigns or community engagement activities.
- Demonstrated experience working in a university or non-profit setting.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 04/02/2015
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
For the full job description and to apply for this position, visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu/job-listings.html (search for job # 19358)"