When you move out at the end of the quarter, it may seem generous to leave your items on the sidewalk with a “FREE” sign. Unfortunately, this material often ends up in our waterways, the bay, or in landfills. To minimize our impact we ask that you do the following 2-3 weeks before you move:
- Take it home early: If you’re going home over the weekend, start taking some of your items home with you.
- Join the citywide garage sale: Participate in the citywide garage-sale weekend, June 4-5. The event will be publicized to city residents by both the City of Santa Cruz and UCSC’s Community Relations office. Register your garage sale at http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/garagesales. If you register your garage sale online, you will receive a coupon for a free large pizza from Woodstock’s pizza.
- Swap or sell online: To offer your unwanted items for free or sale, list them on:
- Freecycle at https://groups.freecycle.org/group/SantaCruzCountyFreecycle/posts/all
- Craig’s List at http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/
- Next Door Santa Cruz at https://nextdoor.com/find-neighborhood/ca/santa-cruz/
- Donate your items to a local charity: Only do this if your items are in good condition. Many charities are unable to take items that are ripped, stained, broken, bent, frayed or worn looking. This is especially true for bulky items such as couches, mattresses, desks, dining room tables and other large items. For more information check Goodwill’s site at http://www.ccgoodwill.org/ or Hope Services at http://www.hopeservices.org
- As an absolute last resort, for bulky items that can no longer be reused, you can schedule a pick-up with the city of Santa Cruz in June. These pick-ups are only for large bulky items that will be taken to the landfill. This includes mattresses, box springs, couches, and living room chairs. To arrange a bulky item pick-up, please register at http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/ucscmoveout. If you register for a bulky item pick-up, you will receive a coupon for a free large pizza from Woodstock’s pizza.
Thank you for your help and cooperation in keeping our environment and landfill free of items that can be reused.