The leaves are changing into those beautiful fall colors, morning runs are a little harder to get out of bed for, scarves and cozy sweaters are breaking out of the back of the closet. Fall is officially on its way, so to welcome it in Sustainability Office style, we've come up with some tips for the season:
1. Reusable mugs for seasonal drinks: Pumpkin spice lattes are pretty much the best tasting thing coffee culture has ever come up with, and during this season, they are everywhere! Keep your travel mug with you when you head to your favorite coffee shop to avoid generating waste with a paper cup, plastic lid, and cardboard sleeve. Forgot your mug? Many cafes have ceramic mugs "for here," so request one and enjoy the cafe. You could also ask for soy or almond milk for a treat that's animal product-free!
2. Compost those leftover Jack-O-Lanterns from Halloween!
3. Thrift for shop Fall clothing: There is nothing better than bundling up super warm when the weather turn cold, windy, or rainy. Gloves, scarves, hats, the whole shebang are perfect for fall. Instead of buying brand new fall wear, hit up one of the local thrift stores. There are so many funky, unique, cozy clothes. Why buy new things when you can reuse! Also, keep in mind that you are typically wearing sweaters outside of your other clothes, meaning you can wash them less often and reduce the number of laundry loads you need to make, saving energy and water.
4. Thanksgiving: Invest in a certified humane turkey, get veggies from the Farmers Market, and try and buy organic. This won't only taste better but it'll also be better for you.
5. Keep your head up. Sometimes when the weather starts to get gloomy, so do we. Put on your favorite fall tunes, bake a pumpkin pie, and smile to keep your personal sustainability going. The sun will always come out again!