- Bottled water is not safer than tap water.
- Increasingly, bottled water comes from the tap.
- Bottled water creates mountains of garbage and causes other major environmental problems.
- Bottled water is thousands of times more expensive than tap water.
- Bottled water companies mislead communities into giving away their public water in exchange for dangerous jobs.
Buy a reusable water bottle and take advantage of all the free, clean tap water on our campus. Speaking of taking back the tap and doing away with plastic bottled water, UCSC's Take Back the Tap has some news to share!
Everyone welcome OPERS Facilities Center as the newest bottle-water free facility on campus! Next time you're there, stop by the new spigot on the water fountain, and thank the OPERS staff behind the desk and supervisor Todd Hammond for taking bottled water off their shelves.
You may have seen the other new water spigots around campus (like this one in Stevenson). Thanks to the Carbon Fund and Take Back the Tap, filling your bottle at water fountains is easier than ever! Find these new stations:
- McHenry Library 2nd and 4th floors
- Science & Engineering Library main floor
- Social Sciences 2
- Student Union building in Quarry Plaza
- Outside of Stevenson 150
- More will be installed in June!
Take Back the Tap UCSC is an initiative to end the sale and distribution of bottled water on our campus. If you're interested in getting involved, please email Take Back the Tap. Check out their Facebook page for further updates!
Click here to see past Green Tips!