Pages

Connect With Us!

Thursday, January 24, 2013

February 2013: Sustainablity Director Hired

Each month, our newsletter features a person or group on campus that is working toward a more sustainable world. This month's profile features the new UC Santa Cruz Sustainability Director, Lacey Raak.

Lacey Raak (Photo: Carolyn Lagattuta)

We asked Lacey what she thinks about sustainability and to share her thoughts on what it means to be the Sustainability Director at UC Santa Cruz.

Name: Lacey Raak

Title: Sustainability Director

Education: B.A. in Global Studies from University of Minnesota; M.A. in International Environmental Policy from Monterey Institute of International Studies

Favorite food: Fruit (especially berries)

Favorite Green Tips: Go for a walk...it helps you slow down, it doesn't produce any waste or emissions, it connects you to your surroundings and it helps you become aware of the environment around you, whether that is a forest, a residential street, an industrial park or a beach front.

What does "sustainability" mean to you? Wow, that can be answered a lot of ways, but in the most simple sense it means considering the impact of everything I do. What I purchase, how I travel, the food I eat. Everything that touches my life impacts or is impacted by something else and it is my responsibility and my joy to consider those impacts.

How does sustainability relate to your role at UCSC? I live and breath sustainability at UCSC, it is my job. Some of the exciting projects I have recently been involved with include the Green Revolving Loan Fund, working on Cap and Trade impacts to UCSC and supporting the work of other staff and students working on sustainability throughout campus.

How do you practice sustainability in your daily life? I think about the impact my life has on the world around me and I always strive to stay true to my values and live intentionally.

Have you had a favorite sustainability moment at UCSC? Every time I walk through the office and hear students and staff working on projects and programs in their sustainability niche I get really jazzed.  I also love that in a meeting at UCSC, I am with people who ask how we can do more to reach our sustainability goals rather than question why sustainability is important.


City on a Hill Press recently profiled Lacey in their Campus Voice column, as well. Click to here to read the article and learn more about Lacey's work and thoughts about campus sustainability.

No comments: