Pages

Connect With Us!

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

February 2015 Sustainability Profile: Adriana Murguia

Each month, our newsletter features a person or group on campus that is working toward a more sustainable world. This month features Adriana Murguia, the Friends of the Community Agroecology Network (FoCAN) Intercambio Event Coordinator. Intercambio is Spanish for exchange, yet she gets to work on bridging topics of culture and livelihoods with sustainability. 


We interviewed Adriana Murguia to learn more about how her work on campus supports sustainability efforts.

Education: 3rd year, Environmental Studies major

What's your favorite green tip?
Reducing the use of plastic. I grew up in a migrant community in which we used plastic bags to wrap our lunch and plastic containers to store our food. Now I know that I do not want carcinogens from plastic near my food.

What does "sustainability" mean to you?
Queremos un mundo donde quepan muchos mundos- “We want a world that fits many worlds” from the Zapatista movement resonates with my understanding of sustainability. I envision not only the sustainability of biodiversity but also of peoples and their cultures.

How does sustainability relate to your role at UCSC?
As the coordinator for intercambio, I have been creating a platform in the form of an 8 day conference for youth from the Community Agroecology Network’s agroeco coffee sites in Nicaragua and Mexico to exchange agroecological methods and practices which they present in forms of workshops and discussions. I also follow up with the outcomes of intercambio by being a part of their youth network. Referring to the classic term of sustainability my role places an emphasis on meeting the needs of the present and the future generations by creating capacity building with youth.

How do you practice sustainability in your daily life?
I try to incorporate sustainability in many ways, but recently I have been purchasing used textbooks whenever possible and consuming agroeco coffee regularly each quarter! 


Have you had a favorite sustainability moment at UCSC?
UCSC has given me many wonderful sustainability opportunities, some small like enjoying meals of locally sourced meal and bigger opportunities like attending bioneers.

No comments: