Pages

Connect With Us!

Sunday, May 1, 2016

May 2016 Sustainability Profile: Rebecca Sale

Each month, our newsletter features a person or group on campus that is working toward a more sustainable world. This month features Rebecca Sale, the Education and Outreach Team Coordinator for the Sustainability Office.

Position Titles: Education and Outreach Coordinator (2015-2016), Student Sustainability Advisor for Cowell and Stevenson Colleges (2014-2015), Education and Outreach Team Associate (2013-2015)

What does “sustainability” mean to you?  It means so much and it's so big that it's kind of difficult to grasp. To me, it means considering the impact of everything you do. Being conscious of, and taking responsibility for your actions. Everything you do affects something and someone else, even if you don't see it. It's a balance between the people and the planet.

Why did you get involved with sustainability? It's a lifestyle I chose so that I can give back. It's important to take care of our limited resources. I'm an outdoor enthusiast and I want to show my respect to the land and the people who were here before me. I hope to leave this place better than it was when I got here.

How has sustainability related to your role(s) at UCSC? As the Education and Outreach Coordinator, my role is to promote campus sustainability efforts like carbon neutrality and zero waste and to encourage behavior change.

How do you practice sustainability in your daily life? I challenge myself every day to be more conscious and to use fewer resources and to make good habits of those actions. I try to not purchase what I don't need. I ride my bike to school and work. I do things that I think everyone one has a societal responsibility to do, like picking up litter, not buying single use items.

Have you had a favorite sustainability moment at UCSC? I love tabling at orientations and spring spotlight, talking to prospective students about their own interests in environmental work and getting them excited about what this amazing school has to offer.

Are there sustainability practices you’ve picked up specific to your background or culture? My family doesn't really buy unnecessary items, we reuse grocery bags and repurpose food containers. I'm following those footsteps and hopefully living a lifestyle that my future family will respect and continue improving.

If you know of a person or group on campus that you think we should profile, or if you would like to be profiled, please send us an email at susted[at]ucsc[dot]edu

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yew! Nice job Rebecca! Keep it up!