For students living off campus, there is barely enough time at the end of the academic year to let out a sigh of relief from finals before tackling your summer living situation. Many of us will be moving out of our current residence, and the less there is to pack-up and move, the better. So it seems like a win-win situation to lighten your load by discarding that old couch or creaky mattress on the curbside for someone else to deal with, right?
Besides the illegality of curbside dumping - for which tenants can be heavily fined by the city - the unfortunate reality is that many abandoned items end up in the surrounding forest and waterways, degrading the natural habitat of Santa Cruz. Fortunately, University Relations in partnership with the Sustainability Office is preventing forest litter by offering a stress-free summer move out services and FREE pizza!
- Take it home early: If you’re going home over the weekend, start taking some of your items home with you.
- Join the citywide garage sale: Participate in the citywide garage-sale weekend, June 4-5. The event will be publicized to city residents by both the City of Santa Cruz and UCSC’s Community Relations office. Register your garage sale at http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/garagesales. If you register your garage sale online, you will receive a coupon for a free large pizza from Woodstock’s pizza.
- Swap or sell online: To offer your unwanted items for free or sale, list them on:
- Freecycle at https://groups.freecycle.org/group/SantaCruzCountyFreecycle/posts/all
- Craig’s List at http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/
- Next Door Santa Cruz at https://nextdoor.com/find-neighborhood/ca/santa-cruz/
- Donate your items to a local charity: Only do this if your items are in good condition. Many charities are unable to take items that are ripped, stained, broken, bent, frayed or worn looking. This is especially true for bulky items such as couches, mattresses, desks, dining room tables and other large items. For more information check Goodwill’s site at http://www.ccgoodwill.org/ or Hope Services at http://www.hopeservices.org
- As an absolute last resort, for bulky items that can no longer be reused, you can schedule a pick-up with the city of Santa Cruz in June. These pick-ups are only for large bulky items that will be taken to the landfill. This includes mattresses, box springs, couches, and living room chairs. To arrange a bulky item pick-up, please register at http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/ucscmoveout. If you register for a bulky item pick-up, you will receive a coupon for a free large pizza from Woodstock’s pizza.
Thank you for your help and cooperation in keeping our environment and landfill free of items that can be reused.